Welcome to your new role at the University of Lincoln. The guides and support videos are here to show you the tools we use at the University of Lincoln. Please click on the buttons below to find out more about that technology.
If you would like more information on how to use digital tools in an innovative way. Please visit our blog site, written by academics, to help enhance teaching and learning.
Digital Training Week
If you would like to receive further guidance and support for these tools, the Digital Education Team run ‘Digital Training Weeks’ during July and September every year. These training weeks cover all of the tools mentioned below and will help support your use of them to enhance teaching and learning.
Who to contact?
Each of our colleges has a specific Digital Educational Developer who can support you with these tools. If you would like to find out more information about the tools mentioned above you can contact the team member for your college.
College of Arts
Ben Atkinson-Foster – Email: email@example.com Tel: 01522 835827
College of Science/ Holbeach
Michael Shaw – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 01522 835053
College of Social Science/ Lincoln International Business School
Chavan Kissoon – Email: email@example.com Tel: 01522 835644
Lincoln Medical School (Lincoln & Nottingham)
Ahmet Durgongoz – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 01522 835029
Blackboard (Bb) is the University’s Virtual Learning Environment, providing an electronic space for staff and students to interact. It is designed to provide a dedicated site for every module.
One of the fundamental principles of Blackboard is members of staff are able to take full ownership of their sites. The freedom to make Bb sites match the way the module is delivered, building folders, creating content areas and even changing the design without having to call on a system administrator.
What can I do with Blackboard?
Blackboard provides a well-structured environment to make course materials available to students. However, it is capable of far more, including:
• Links to external resources
• Discussion Forums
• Tools for creating and monitoring online assessments
• Collaborative areas for groups of students with communication and file sharing facilities
• Student online submission of work
• Embedding multimedia content
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra provides an on-line classroom environment for staff and students to work together using audio, video, and text chat as well as a shared workspace. Collaborate functions as a virtual classroom and it enables many of activities that happen in a traditional classroom.
What can I do with Blackboard Collaborate Ultra?
- Teacher-led presentation, with questions from students
- Group discussions
- Individual support
- Breakout rooms for student group work
- Recording – Collaborate sessions can be recorded for future use
- Chat – Moderators and students can use the chat box for instant messaging style interaction and private
messages can also be sent.
- Load Content – PowerPoint slides, images and multimedia files can be uploaded to the session for use with
- Interactive Whiteboard -The Whiteboard can also be used to display images, write or draw.
- Application Sharing – This enables session participants to share specific applications (Word, PowerPoint) with others.
- Web Tour – This allows participants to give a tour of a web site to others on the session.
CO_000 – Using Blackboard Collaborate Ultra | Video |
Poll Everywhere is an online polling and surveying tool that offers quick, live feedback to questions during lectures and seminars. This tool offers opportunities for increasing student participation and interactivity within lectures and seminars through instant feedback and discussion.
What can I do with Poll Everywhere?
- Creating polls quickly and easily.
- Polls can be run from any type of device with an internet connection
- A variety of question types allow you to gather a wide range of data
- A new way to engage students inside of lectures with quick formative assessment or research data gathering.
- Cohorts and groups can be set up and Poll Everywhere has a range of in-depth tracking and analytics that can be harnessed
- You can re-use polls again and again, share them with colleagues and the responses keep on adding up
PE_002 – The Kinds of Questions You Can Create with Poll Everywhere | Video
All staff get free access to Lynda.com. Lynda.com is an online CPD site with over 10,000 videos and courses online. This site has a wide range of subjects ranging from ICT, Business and education based subjects.
What can I do with Lynda.com?
- Just in time support for a variety of subjects
- Create and share playlists
- Skip chapters/sections to find the information you need
- Short simple videos allow quick access to support and enable the enhancement of skills
- Videos can be stopped, paused or re-watched through simple controls
- Notes can be added to sections of the video to support understanding
- Links can be embedded on blackboard
- Practice areas allow you to try new skills inside of your browser without specialist software.
LY_003 – Quick tips | PDF
Turnitin is the leading provider of text-matching software, designed to support students with their academic writing and assist in the detection of plagiarism. Turnitin is fully integrated into Blackboard and is the recommended method for student submissions of text-based assignments.
What can I do with Turnitin?
- Set assessment points for submission
- Students can submit assignments digitally
- Create an originality report to compare the text of the submission against their database to check for plagiarism
- Similarity report – This will highlight any text which matches or is very similar to information in the Turnitin Database
- Custom Rubrics to help support marking
- Give Audio feedback to help speed up marking
- Use quick marks for common errors (i.e. punctuation, paragraph, awkward phraseology)
- Leave written comments at defined points in the assessment.
- Assign a grade
- Peer mark allows students to mark and review each others papers. This can include or exclude student details.
Help Guide – Turnitin for staff | Doc
Panopto is our lecture recording system. There are two types of system. One is called Panopto Desktop. This allows you to capture screens and audio to be shared online. The system is currently placed in 70 teaching spaces around the university. The second system is called Panopto. This is currently placed in nine teaching spaces around the university and allows you to record the lecture via camera as well as capturing the screen and audio.
What can I do with Panopto?
- Create short videos to share via Mobile devices, tablets and desktop computers
- Upload videos to a blackboard module site
- Capture audio
- Capture presentation/screen recording
- Share videos with students/staff
- Students can create video-based assessments to share with staff/students